Friday, February 1, 2013

J'adore Peplum

Ok people - I mentioned last year how I LOVE peplum.  Not just LOVE but LOOOOVVVVVEEEEE.

It's been an ongoing love affair for me, and I couldn't be happier now that I've seen it blowing up everywhere.  It's lady-like, flattering, and totally on trend right now.  I've found myself wearing peplum to work, to brunch, and to go out with girlfriends.  It seriously is the best comeback since leggings (um stretchy pants are back from my childhood??  HELL yeah!)

Need some inspiration??  Well even if you don't, I'm going to give it to you... here we go!

PEPLUM TAKES YOU FROM WORK TO PLAY:
Day to Night Peplum


Mango ribbed shirt / Blue top, $24 / HUGO high waisted skirt / Schutz pointed toe pumps, $200 / Kate Spade leather handbag / Kate Spade handcrafted jewelry / Gorjana

Need to head into the office, but don't have time to go home and change before going out to nice dinner or happy hour?  Presto chango - take off the cardigan, add a snazzy necklace and you are set!

Kate Spade is the queen of the ladylike bag, and this one is large enough to carry your wallet, car keys, rolled up cardigan, and a pair of ballet flats (for the walk home) but it's not so big as to be obnoxious at a crowded bar scene.

Nude heels?  Classy enough for work, sexy enough to play... and can you really say no to something that makes your legs look longer??  Me either.  Plus that capped toe?  Fierce.

PEPLUM GETS FUNKY:
Modernized Peplum


MSGM lace tank / Mango bike pants, $44 / Givenchy leather boots / Cross body handbag / Bangle bracelet, $140 / McQ by Alexander McQueen wrap bracelet, $110 / Fantasy Jewelry Box chain bracelet / Viva La Diva lip makeup, $14

Not every look with peplum has to channel Mad Men - updating this silhouette with bright colors, or interesting materials makes it modern, and edgy.  Neon yellow anyone??

I love this with leather leggings, and sexy strappy caged booties.  Bracelets upon bracelets are all you need - you do not want a big necklace to compete with this top - and sexy Bardot inspired makeup would be so perfect - big eyelashes and pale lips.

The hair should be big and voluminous and I love the idea of another bright accessory (to avoid looking like a bumblebee in all that yellow and black).  Purple and yellow are opposites, and they always look fabulous together.

PEPLUM GOES CASUAL:
Daytime Peplum


Forever New cut out shirt, $31 / Madewell cotton jacket / J.Crew j crew / Tory Burch genuine leather handbag / American Apparel leather strap watch

Nope - I'm not insane.  Yes, it's January, but with sunny weather here in California that is close to 70 degrees, I couldn't help myself!  For those of you freezing your tootsies off somewhere on the East Coast, put this one in the back pocket for this summer, when I'm here bundled up in the fog!

Nautical stripes, and yellow pants scream preppy, which I love, loooveeee, LOOVEEEEE.  These leopard loafers are comfy, and stylish.  Need I say more?  Grab the jean jacket that literally goes with everything, and a side slung brown leather bag, and you are set for anything - shopping, lunching, brunching, wine tasting, or just kicking back with a good book.

Jump on the peplum train y'all - I promise you won't look back!
xo

2 comments:

  1. I love this! And, I'm dying to know if Santa brought you the peplum top from Nordstrom? Mine didn't fit very well and I returned it, but I was wondering if I went up too many sizes! Thanks for the H&M tip too!
    xo,
    ann e

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope... luckily! I went in store to try it on and it was like a crop top! I think I have an extra long torso, but found another navy short sleeve on at Forever 21 of all places!

      Delete