Monday, April 29, 2013

A little Staycation

It's easy to forget how gorgeous California is...


... except when you decide to get out of the city one weekend, and it slaps you in the face.  Uh... we live here?!  I totally forgot!

Last weekend Kris and I decided to get out of San Francisco... well we crossed a bridge... and after the 10 minute drive (yes, 10 minutes door to door) we were here.  

Paradise.


Fort Point is located off the first Sausalito exit once you cross the Golden Gate Bridge, and in my opinion is one of our city's best kept secrets.  It has a lovely little beach, surfing (Kris was like a fat kid at an ice cream parlor), and a beautiful hike up into the Marin headlands.

Originally used as some sort of military base (we didn't actually read the historical markers) I think it was probably used to shoot at the bad guys trying to invade San Francisco at some point in history... I'm guessing it was built less out of need and more out of Cold War paranoia, but I have no clue... next time I will definitely read the historical markers...

These hidden bunker type thingys were ALL OVER the place... and pretty cool, if I do say so myself.  Some were all shut up, and looked very much like The Tempest Bunker from the show Lost.  No?


And... this is what heaven looks like.  This little beach was completely uninhabited since there was no way to get down the cliff.  I suppose you could access it by boat, but I digress.  My point is, look how gorgeous it is!


So gorgeous in fact that I got a little photo happy...

It was getting a little late in the afternoon by this point, and the wind had kicked up - hoodies required for sure - but it was so darn pretty.


... and after a day in the sun, we drove back to our beautiful city by the bay...


I'm thinking that as the weather warms up (well as the weather OUTSIDE San Francisco warms up), this might be a staple for our weekends...

Happy Monday!

1 comment: