Friday, September 20, 2013

Kalah Blue - Painted Curtain DIY

Who doesn't love royal blue and white paired together??

No one.  That's who.

I realize how confusing that double negative sounds... read it again... it makes sense... promise

Blue and white is a classic combination for a reason, and one of my all time favorite patterns is the Kalah Blue pattern by Duralee.  You see it everywhere.  Remember this AMAZING bedroom from House Beautiful last year??

Target also has a darn good knockoff of this pattern in a chair that I can no longer find online... if we had somewhere to put it, you can bet your buttons it would be in our house - it's SOOOO good.

The throw pillows may make an appearance in our house in the next year... perhaps when I'm in my post-Christmas "simplifying phase" in January...

And these curtains??  LOVE.  (Maybe that's what inspired them to hang that print right next to them... just saying!)

And another pair of curtains... they just bring a little magic to an all white space...

And surprise surprise... more curtains...

Well this post is for a DIY curtain tutorial after all...

Ok, so getting on with it...

Carmel of Our Fifth House is one of the most talented and successful home bloggers out there.  Her house is TO DIE FOR, and her taste is crazy good.  She makes brave choices mixing deep reds, blues, and experimenting with dark paint (check out the color of her bedroom walls... it's LOVE).  I love bloggers who take risks, and stay true to their taste - it makes their spaces so unique and fun to read about...

Her blog is one of my daily go-to's for sure, and after going through the archives for ideas in our own place, I ended up stumbling across her tutorial for painted curtains.  You know I have a bit of a thing for experimenting with painted curtains since it's a) easy and b) cheap

Past posts about painting curtains can be found here and here

Anyway, I'll let a few of her pictures speak for themselves...


Ok tell me that those curtains aren't a CLOSE SECOND to the Kalah Blue, which is PRICEY as anything. The cheapest I was able to find the fabric online was for $20 a yard (not including tax or shipping) at Fabric.com.  For one single curtain panel, you'd need around 4 yards... and when you're making multiple panels, that adds up REAL quick...

To the rescue is the concept of stenciling... I'll leave you to Carmel's tutorial at Our Fifth House for the play by play, but she essentially used a stencil from Olive Leaf Stencils (I believe it was the Ikat Pattern #2) and painted away...

Genius right??  I'm dying to try this myself, but we're all out of windows in this apartment to adorn... perhaps a sweet friend would be willing to volunteer their windows for a little experiment...

Any takers???

4 comments:

  1. What a good idea - I've never heard of painting a curtain. Where do you buy the curtains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ikea makes extra long panels that are quite inexpensive (in 93" or 106") that you can hem to fit most size windows - even with extra high ceilings. I've also seen the DIY curtain tutorials done with a drop-cloth, which is even more cost effective, however there is added costs in purchasing the clip on (or sew on) rings for it to actually turn into a curtain...

      If you try this out, let me know how it all turns out!

      Delete