Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Dark Moody Rooms

Good morning friends!!  The last several posts I've had are mainly about progress on our own apartment, but I've been thinking a lot about dark moody rooms.
 Maybe it's because all the fall clothes have hit the stores and I'm waiting for the perfect opportunity to bust out my new faux fur vest.  Maybe it's because it's been foggy and cold in San Francisco, and the drippy, dreary days have me ready to hibernate and think about pumpkin spiced lattes, and cozy nights, and big glasses of red wine while the wind howls outside. Or maybe, these rooms are just so beautiful and I can't resist.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still craving warm weather and summer nights, but mentally I'm in the fall mindset.  Don't you think there is something so inviting about a dark moody room?  It is an invitation for dim light, candles and ambiance.

It's probably (definitely) not something I'll be trying out in our current apartment, mainly because our place is not super large, and because all the rooms are pretty open to one another, but I'm really into this look - dark walls, dark furniture.  IF (and that's a big IF) I were to test this in our current place, it would probably be in our bedroom since it's the most separate from the rest of the house, and because the dark walls, and dark furniture would feel really calm, cozy, and sleep inducing.

Normally, you'll find rooms with dark walls and lighter furniture, or lighter walls and dark furniture, but I'm loving the combination of dark with dark.

I'm also finding that the rooms I love best with this dark on dark use rather monochromatic hues - the first picture (and one of my favorite spaces in general) has the ink curtains next to the ink sofa, next to the dark grey window frames, and everything is on top of the inky purple rug.

In the photo above, everything is painted in the same dark taupe.  And below the walls, and rug are nearly the same shade of grey.

This next photo, the walls, columns and ceiling are the same shade of grey, and only the sofa and flowers bring color to the space.

What I find really interesting too about all of these spaces, is that they seem to work best with more traditional details.  The moldings, and more ornate mirrors.  Classically tailored sofas, chairs and ottomans, panel curtains, and a good dose of brass.  

I think that these traditional elements keep these spaces from feeling cold, even through there is so much dark, and drama going on.  They still feel inviting.  They say, come bring your cup of tea and tattered copy of Pride and Prejudice in here for the afternoon.

What do you think?

Would you ever experiment with a dark and moody room in your own home?

5 comments:

  1. Very pretty, but like you, I enjoy having our small little home in lighter colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we win the lotto, I'll be sure to try this out in one of our many houses, ha! :-)

      Delete
  2. I love this so much. I have been thinking about this for when we finish our office. I think my partner will need some convincing though. I think all of these rooms get more natural light than mine so it might just look dark and dingy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid home decor....I love all the interior designs....really like it.'
    Thanks for sharing.
    Taupe duvet cover
    Grey duvet cover queen
    Navy blue duvet cover

    ReplyDelete