Thursday, August 28, 2014

Indoor Plants - the Olive Tree


If I could pick the number one thing that I have learned in the past several years while decorating our home, it would be that no matter how good your taste is... how much you accessorize a table, or bookshelf, or how lovely all your furniture is, a room never feels truly complete, or alive, or even as beautiful as it possibly could, without a plant.

Not even kidding.  As soon as I brought our first live plant home, and saw how the added greenery changed that room, I've made a conscious effort to bring more plants home.  Not cut flowers - which I do love - I'm talking about a live plant.

For the past several years, I've been ALL ABOUT the fiddle leaf fig.  Totally drank the cool-aid, and as much as I still do love them, I've been on the hunt for equally beautiful, dramatic indoor plants to bring home, and guess what my friends??  I think I've found it...

The Olive Tree.


I love that the dwarf olive tree is a little like a topiary with the round leafy top, and the tall spindly trunk.  The grey-green leaves are more subtle, and earthy, and I just love how they look in these clean, minimalist spaces.


The above picture is one of my favorite images of all time. It was the background on my phone to remind me to simplify, and to remind me how lovely a clean slate can look.

I really like how the rustic look of these mini trees are still elegant while being a little wild.


Can't you also imagine these flanking a fireplace, or being dolled up for the holidays?


I did a little research already, and apparently they can do well indoors in a pot - they can't sit in very wet soil, so be careful when potting originally to use a more arid soil that will drain... they also like to be rotated in direct sunlight, but overall, they seem like they could be a real contender for an indoor plant.


Anyone have any expertise on the subject here??  This notorious plant killer novice plant care-taker would love to know!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment