Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Bedroom Makeover: Painted Trim

So, last week I had been agonizing over paint colors.  Which shade of Beige / Oatmeal / Desert Wind / Sherwood Tan would I choose to saturate our bedroom walls.

Well it turns out, I found a shortcut, and I'm not going to paint our bedroom at all.  Yep - I discovered that our landlord had painted every surface our our apartment such an "off" off-white, that all I needed to do was paint the trim pure white.  Voila!  All it took was a few coats of semi-gloss in Whitest White - a "custom" color the hipster guy at the Benjamin Moore in the Marina mixed for me (side note here: there was nothing custom about it... while you won't find Whitest White on any paint chips, it consists of the base color that comes in the can with a single drop of blue to "brighten it up"... alrightyyyyy then).

The result is shocking.  I have the least observant boyfriend in the world, and even he immediately noticed the difference when he came home from work.  He thought I'd painted all the walls, but really I'd just painted the trim.  After work.  And made us dinner.  I'm THAT good.  And modest.

Anyway, since everyone loves a good before and after, here we go:

Before: Blah "Off" Off-White Everywhere

 

After: Crisp, Clean, Contrasting Trim


You can still see out in the hallway how the trim is monotone with the walls - the hallway is next... and then the dining room... and then the living room... and then the kitchen.  I'm on a roll!!

Also, look at the first "before" picture - those were the temporary curtains we had up until recently.  WAY too dark for the room, but I still love them... just not in here.  Those will be fabulous in my one-day office.  Anyway, seeing the dark curtains hanging, don't you think the light silk ones are the the winners??  What a huge difference already!

Looking at the progress that I am slowly but surely making on the bedroom, the walls and trim are done, curtains are done... now we have to sort out the bed / bedding situation.

3 comments:

  1. Wow - that did make a huge difference! Would love to see some more pics!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! The room is evolving slowly but surely... there are plenty more photos to come :-)

      Delete
  2. This is killing me, but for some reason I can't see the after pics :( I have tried two computers, but will check back tomorrow, I can't wait to see you hard work in action!
    xo K
    www.lilieslattesandlace.com

    ReplyDelete