Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Summer Dinner



You can tell it's almost summer from all the amazing produce in the stores!  Last night, I was in the mood for a light summery dinner (even though the fog rolled in around 5pm) and stopped by Molly Stones on my way home.

I found the most amazing melon, and so I thought I'll just add a little prosciutto and call it a day!  When Kris works late, I don't have to worry about making a dinner that will fill him up (a dinner that usually involves some sort of starchy potato or carb like pasta), and so I picked up some fresh mozzarella and tomatoes for a caprese salad on the side.

The secret to a good caprese salad is in the balsamic.  I don't usually splurge on fancy balsamic, but I will tell you there is a huge difference between the $4 balsamic in the store and the $40 balsamic at the farmer's market.  Unfortunately, I only had the $4 balsamic, so I'll let you in on a little secret.  Reducing this in a pan on the stove for a few minutes does wonders!  Just put the balsamic in a non-stick pan, turn the stove up to high, and let it simmer and reduce until it has a syrup-like consistency.  You will be amazed at how sweet and yummy it is.  Just drizzle over the sliced tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and basil with some extra virgin olive oil, salt, and pepper!

So simple, and so delicioso :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment