Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Ikea 2014 Favorites

Did everyone else get their Ikea 2014 catalog a few weeks ago??

I read some pretty negative reviews online around how disappointed people were with the new products - not enough exiting updates... nothing too mind blowing...

Ummm... were we looking through the same catalog??  I thought that they had some AMAZING new things this year!


I love this idea of pushing two butcher block tables together to create a large workspace / floating island in the kitchen... (also, the bin pulls on the drawers are great, and the tall glass bookshelf is another favorite)...


And while this rug isn't new, it's been a favorite of mine for the last year, the clock is cool, and that black and white curtains are so on trend!


Pretty much everything in the Stockholm collection caught my eye - that coffee table... the lines on that sofa??  Are you kidding me??  It looks like it walked right out of West Elm!
I mean, right??? 

It comes in white, tan, grey... I LOVE it.

The Stockholm chandelier is also one of my favorites, and I've seen those billy bookshelves everywhere - here used for shoe storage, and in other places as library shelving.  And at $79 for each bookshelf, they are A STEAL.


Loving the mint shelf tucked in the corner, the floating glass shelves, and the wood flat tabletop they laid on the floating legs.  

Ahh, my favorite black and white striped throw over the back of this bed, the modern lighting flanking each side, and more of those Billy bookshelves...


I mean, it's REALLY good, right??


I rounded up a short list of all my favorites that just came into stores - note there is SO MUCH other good stuff at Ikea, but I'm only making note of what's NEW...



1. Shelving Unit - ok, this looks plain and boring at first glance, but imagine this sprayed a really shiny navy blue, or a bright yellow.  How fun would a few of these be in a grey kitchen to hold your cookbooks, pretty plates, glassware, and all your shiniest pots.
2. Modern Chair - a pair of these in a window with a small table between?  Stop it.  This DOES NOT LOOK LIKE IKEA.  It's too freaking good.  Hello Mad Men.
3. Vintage-y Cabinet - another mid-century esque piece - I might consider drilling holes for small round brass pulls, but it's awesome just as it is... and let's be honest, sometimes we need concealed storage.
4. Round Mirror - a large round mirror is hard to find, and this one is GOOD. Perfect for an entryway, over a bathroom sink, or pretty much anywhere...
5. Mod Chandelier - A little Ikea, but really cool.  Totally reminds me of Jonathan Adler's Sputnik Chandelier... right???
6. Woven Basket - super good price for a large basket like this.  Good for large potted plants, or for corralling all your magazines.  Perfect for holding throw blankets, kid's toys, dirty laundry... you name it.
7. Desk Lamp - imagine this sprayed gold.  Yes. Please.
8. Wall Decor / Cabinet Front - while this is supposed to be for a cabinet, it would be kind of cool in a shabby chic space to hang these as window frames on the wall... sort of like this or this or this.
9. Mid-century Chest of Drawers - awesome in an office, or flanking a bed (all that storage) or even in a living room.  Functional, and hip.

What do you think of the new Ikea 2014 catalog?  Awesome or what?

4 comments:

  1. I so agree! But I think it takes a designer eye to see all of the potential in Ikea and how to mix it with higher end pieces to make it look non-ikea! I am drooling over that chandi! I am thinking that for my dining room... until I can afford a real sputnik!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES! That's totally the key - mixing high and low together. Hope you had a great weekend!!

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize that Ikea had already come out with the new stuff! The Ikea "near" me is past the grapevine, so we make one trip a year - max. Great finds!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly the Ikea you're talking about - WHY did the build it in the middle of nowhere! I'll never know. Thanks for reading Jen!

      Delete