Friday, November 15, 2013

Splurge or Save: Starburst Mirror

Hansel Starburst mirrors... so hot right now.  And sometimes so expensive...

Can you guess which one of these is the "splurge"??

Starburst mirrors have been making a total resurgence in the last few years, although I'm not sure that these bad boys have ever NOT been hot - Louis XIV used them everywhere (fun fact: he was apparently called the "Sun King" because of this... don't you just love random facts??).  Anyway, with a history like that, I'm going to say they are more timeless than trendy.

I mean they are EVERYWHERE, and for good reason.  

A good dose of gold is so glam, and they seem to be the universal answer to the question "what do I put on this random wall?"  They are great in a hallway, great over a mantle, awesome over a bed... they pretty much work in any space where you want something pretty, that seems more functional than it actually is.

Let's be honest, you're not going to apply your makeup using one of these mirrors, but they manage to be decorative without being "decorative"... you know what I mean??  There's still a hint of function.  Am I crazy?






Gorgeous right??

It can end up being difficult to find a nice sized starburst mirror for a good price... but not impossible!!

Given the name of this post, you've probably guessed that I found one that is a total steal.  Could you guess from the original photos above which was the "splurge" and which was the "save"?

If you guessed that the splurge was on the left then you're right!!

While the price tags are dramatically different from one another, the mirrors themselves are quite similar.  The Elementarie mirror has more tines, and while I like how they are staggered at different lengths, I actually really LOVE that the tines on the Martha Stewart mirror are tapered and have more dimension.

I also love the price tag on that Martha Stewart gem.

To put the value in perspective, you could buy 12 of the Martha Stewart Sunburst mirrors for the price of one of the Elementarie mirrors.

Holy cow.

I'm a sucker for a good deal, so I'm team Martha all the way!!

What do you think?  Worth the splurge?

Should I do more of the Splurge vs. Save posts - I'd love to hear from you!

1 comment:

  1. I may have a slight addiction to starburst mirrors..I have 3 in my house! The one I spent the most dough on though was the devon mirror from zgallerie a few years back. There are plenty of copycats now for less but it was still an awesome buy!

    ReplyDelete