Thursday, June 14, 2012

Dinner with Sissy


Burrata and Wine from the Tap - Delfina
a
I have affectionately referred to my sister as "sissy" for as long as I can remember.  As a name... "I miss you Sissy", or as a noun... "That's MY big Sissy!"  You get the idea :-)

Well, Sissy came to visit on Tuesday night this week, and I could not have been more excited.  While it was primarily a matter of convenience, (the passport office is located in San Francisco) it was just nice to see her, and spend time one-on-one.  I love her husband to death - he is funny, sarcastic, and just fun to be around - but I do miss having just 'sister time' with her.

Anyway, with just one night to hang out, we walked to one of my FAVORITE restaurants in this city for dinner (and several glasses of wine).  Delfina is a fabulous pizzeria in my neighborhood, that boasts the most fabulous thin crust Neapolitan style pizza.  It's loud, and small, but feels cozy, and kind of fancy (even though it's NOT)... and did I mention that the food is out of this world??


Salsiccia Pizza - Delfina
a
We sat up at the bar that looks into the open kitchen - my favorite spot.  I love to watch them flip the dough, and make your food right in front of you.  Everything is SOO fresh, and the fact that they have wine on tap (yep, ON TAP) makes me love this place even more.


Deep fried Zucchini blossoms - Delfina
a
My favorites?? The fresh burrata from the 'starters' menu - they serve it with peppery arugula, toasted crostini, and a generous drizzle of extra virgin olive oil on top - heavenly.  I also LOVE the meatballs, but last time we came here, we went a bit overboard on the ordering so we held off on their meatballs for another night. Instead, we got one of their new additions to the menu - the stuffed zucchini blossoms that are overflowing with cheesy deliciousness.  These bad boys got battered and deep fried - I don't even want to know the calories - and the deep fried basil put this dish over the top.  Amazing.

For the finale, we got the salsiccia pizza - I could eat it every night and never tire of it, but I also love their panna pizza, the margarita, and the prosciutto pie.  Look at the full menu here - you will see how amazing (and reasonable) looks!!  If ever in SF - I highly recommend this spot.

A word to the wise - don't come starving.  They don't take reservations, and the wait can be pretty long on weekends, but trust me when I say it's worth it.  Order a glass of wine (or two) from the hostess, and you'll be fine :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment