Thursday, June 21, 2012

Re-Vamping the Bedroom

I am like a giddy little puppy - we have made the decision to go with a king size bed and replace our queen mattress!  Hooray!!

Knowing that, I can really start planning out our bedroom.  I made a few short term changes by flipping over our duvet, and getting some cute pillows and throw blankets to spruce up the bedding, but it's time to make some real strides here!  I came up with this inspiration board based on the changes in my tastes, and some of the accessories we already have!

Obviously, we'll be working with what we've got, so while the red punches of color from my original bedroom inspiration board would be fun and bright, I need to look for things that match the core pieces in the room - the biggest being the rug.

Right now, the bedroom has a large piece of remnant carpet I got for next to nothing in my early 20's - it's an oatmeal color, and while it has done it's job, it's time to move on to greener pastures.  Recently, we got a new rug for the living room, which means the old living room rug has been rolled up and is chilling in our dining room.  It's currently leaned up against the wall and I can't wait to move into our bedroom.  Our "old" living room rug looks almost EXACTLY like the one in my inspiration board, so the red touches from past inspiration boards would feel wrong with this soothing tone.

Now that you can see that the rug is all soothing shades of aqua, tan, and brown, I think I should keep that feeling going throughout the bedding as well.  For the most part, the biggest changes will be the bed frame (one nail-head upholstered headboard... coming right up), the bedding, the "new" rug, and a chandelier (for glamour).  The art in my inspiration board is already hanging up, the lamps are a done deal, and you all remember my toil (posted here) to re-finish the dresser and nightstands in the bedroom...

I could also do bedding like the Barbara Barry collection.  I do love the look of the blue quilted bedding, with a big fluffy duvet folded at the foot of the bed.

I also really like this pale blue paisley - I think I'll have to see how busy the room looks once the rug is in there.  The room doesn't get a ton of natural light which is a real challenge, so I don't want to make it feel super small, or super dark....

What should I do?  Are these too dark?  Too girly?  Should I keep looking?  Or am I over analyzing everything??

2 comments:

  1. Very exciting! I am not positive, but that last picture looks a lot like the Restoration Hareware bedding we have in brown. It has been amazing, and I love, love, love the colour pallete you have choosen!
    xo K
    www.lilieslattesandlace.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you! I think we need to move the run in there, and see how it looks before getting the bedding. Step one, get the new bed - I just can't see moving our bed out of there just to put the rug in yet. Wow, that sounded so lazy :-)

      Delete