Wednesday, October 10, 2012

The Little Black Skirt

I like to dress for the seasons (even though we don't have hot summers or snowy winters in San Francisco).  While I definitely have pieces of clothing that are decidedly "summer" or "winter", I mainly look for staples that I can mix up with other more "seasonal" pieces.  My most versatile pieces are light, and good for layering, so these pieces carry me through the seasons without looking out of place.

First up - the flouncy black skirt.  Most obviously in the summer, it is easy to throw on with sandals, and go to brunch, work, or dinner, but it really is pretty versitile, despite the light fabric.  Take a look at how I'd wear it year round...

Summer:
Pair anything with sleeveless horizontal stripes, and you'll automatically look ready for the Hamptons.  To me, nothing says summer like a nautical look.  Pick a form fitting (but not tight) tank to tuck into the skirt, and add some style with a bold coral necklace.  My jean jacket pretty much goes wherever I go, since nights are always chilly, and flat gladiators are an easy go-to.  I love the gold on these sandals, to be worn as a neutral (wear gold with anything you'd normally wear nude with).
Black Skirt - Summer



Autumn:
Crunchy leaves, and crisp sunny weather is my favorite part of fall.  No need for thick layers yet, so I say keep your legs bare as long as you can.  I love the plaid in this shirt - the orange is bright (not burnt), keeping the pattern from being too drab, but the mix of brown and olive prevents you from looking like a pumpkin.  I just got a new pair of ankle booties in black, but I love these brown suede ones with the asymmetrical cut, and the contrast piping.  A leather jacket is a wardrobe staple of mine - it's warm without being bulky, and you always feel pulled together - even if you are throwing it over jeans.
Black Skirt - Autumn



Winter:
Winters here are rainy - not snowy - but it still gets very cold, especially around the holidays.  I love the idea of dressing this relatively casual skirt up with a luxe silk blouse, and a winter white coat with feminine details.  With fewer hours of daylight, go for darker colors across the board - dark lips, deep onyx studs, dark knit tights, and tall boots (Christian Louboutins... a girl can dream).  This whole outfit would also look amazing in monochromatic black (very devil wears prada)... what do you think?
black skirt - winter


ChloƩ silk bow blouse, $1,530 / Over coat, $440 / Black pleated skirt / DKNY tight / Kate Spade stone jewelry / Muji / Mimco , $26



Spring:
With spring comes lighter colors, floral prints, and a few unseasonably warm days.  I love the dusty rose in this blazer, which would is another piece that can pretty much take you through the year.  Simple accessories make this work appropriate, and these cute booties would work as well as a nude or black pump!  Isn't this outfit kind of perfect for Valentines Day (at work) or night (a few extra buttons undone)? I think so!

No comments:

Post a Comment